Home  |  County Data  |  Maps  |  Weather  |  Road Conditions 
Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4


Search web
Search Kerr

Traffic Cases

Payment and Plea Information


Small Claims Civil Court
Beginning a Civil Lawsuit
Answering or responding to a Civil Lawsuit

Appeal Bond Forms

Traffic or Criminal
Small Claims
Civil Court

County Links




 Facility use policy
 Public Records
 Site Statistics


Option Two: I Want to Take the Driving Safety Course
This is a deferred disposition from Article 45.0511 of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure (TCCP).

To Dispose of a traffic violation by a Texas Driving Safety Course, you must meet these qualifications:

  1. The charge must be a violation of the "Uniform Act" Transportation code 729.001(a)(3); Subtitle C, Title 7, Transportation Code or 472.022 Transportation Code. (Not a Penal Code Offense)

  2. You must possess a valid Texas Driver's License. (Sorry, valid Texas Driver's License only.)

  3. You must be able to submit proof of financial responsibility (most commonly liability insurance).

  4. If charged with speeding, the speed must not have exceeded the speed limit by 25 mph or have been greater than 95 mph. Commercial drivers are excluded by law.

  5. You must not have taken the course for the purpose of a traffic dismissal in the last twelve (12) months prior to the citation date.

No Exceptions! These laws are statutory and cannot be ignored or altered.

If you would like to view the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Chapter 45, Article 45.0511, click here.

If you meet all of the above requirements

Submit to the Court of the Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4 the following:

  • A copy of the Request to take a Driving Safety Course, completed by dating and signing. No written request, no course. Download the Form >>

  • Remit $146.00 by Money Order or Cashier's Check to this court. (Sorry, no personal checks will be accepted.) Get the address >>

  • Submit proof of financial responsibility (most likely liability insurance proving that you were covered at the time the ticket was issued).

  • Photocopy of the ticket and/or your Driver's License.

After sending to the Court of the Justice of the Peace, Precinct 4 all that the court requires, immediately send a copy of the form DR-1 (Application for Copy of Driver Record) with $10.00 to the address on the form. The record will come directly to us, not you. This will prove you are qualified concerning your driving record. Download the DR-1 >> You MAY pay DPS extra and print the DL record in real time from their website. This is a convenience and is NOT required.

No driving record, no dismissal, no exceptions.

After sending all of the documents listed above to the court, and you have mailed the DPS $10.00 and the DR-1, you may begin to find a way to take the course providing you are personally sure that you are eligible. If you have doubts then wait about three weeks after you sent off your driving record and call us by phone. If we have received the record, we will tell you whether or not you were eligible.

If you turn out to be ineligible and you did not call us, we will notify you. This may take awhile, but we will get to you.

Falsely swearing or signing a document that could be sworn to is a crime. Fabricating evidence that you took the course or making it appear that you were eligible when you were not is a felony punishable by a prison sentence, and we do prosecute.

Once you have taken the course you will be awarded a certificate. Take the copy marked "Court" and mail it to us. You should retain your copy and may use the insurance copy in a manner appropriate to you.

You have 90 days (no extensions!) to submit to the Court the certificate awarded you upon completion of the course. This time is counted from the date we receive your written request to take the course. If you do not complete the course and submit the certificate within the 90 days allowed, you will most likely lose your privilege to take the course.

  Home  |  County Data  |  Maps  |  Weather  |  Road Conditions

For web site related problems and suggestions e-mail the webmaster